Last night I stepped out of my comfort zone and invited the neighborhood (29 guests) into our home for a cooking party. The house was decked out in it's finest Fall Harvest decor, the apple cider was sweet and tangy, the pinot grigio was perfectly chilled and our chef extraordinaire exceeded my expectations.

I have to admit, when our chef announced everyone in attendance would be helping prepare oriental vegetable pizzas and apple berry crisp there were a few tense moments. Honestly it was as if someone sucked the air out of the room, but as each neighbor began to work on tasks the laughter and smiles began to ring out.

As I looked around the kitchen I couldn't help grinning from ear to ear. It was nice to see so many neighbors joking around, enjoying the company and being in the moment. It's just something we don't get to do enough of now a days.

It was a good night.
12 Responses
  1. Diane Says:

    That is SO cool! I live in a great neighborhood and you just inspired me to sort out some kind of fall cook-out (no room in my kitchen for everyone :). Thanks!!


  2. That's a cool idea. Last fall, we had a wine tasting party and it was a super success. How did you choose the menu? Just wondering, I know Stacy would love to have a party like that at the Quasebarth home.


  3. What a fabulous idea. I stepped out recently to plan a Christmas reunion get together for Lorelai's high school friends and their parents and sent out the "save the date" cards today.


  4. Nicole Says:

    Do you have any pictures??? You've gotta share them if you do. Sounds like so much fun, stressful but fun. I'd have to do some major stepping out of my comfort zone to do something like that too.


  5. What an awesome idea. I would love to live in a neighborhood like that. Our's doesn't quite feel that warm and fuzzy. Hopefully, our next house...great idea!


  6. Migraine Mom Says:

    That sound like so much fun! I wish I was your neighbor!


  7. Lex the mom Says:

    I envy that. I know envy isn't a good thing, but in this case, consider it to mean good.

    I would give anything to have that kind of camaraderie in this hood. My hub is quite anti-social and doesn't like new people, so it's absolutely out of the question.

    But - since you've mentioned this, I just had a good brainstorm. Are you real close to your neighbors & how did you go about planning this? It sounds awesome!


  8. Heather Says:

    It sounds like SO much FUN!!


  9. Tiffany Says:

    Good for you girl.

    What a wonderful way to welcome in Fall.

    Wish I was your neighbor.

    Sangria.Forever.


  10. Ann Says:

    Wow!
    That is something that is out of my comfort level as well. I'm so proud of you!
    My husband likes to have a big gathering during the Kentucky Derby and it takes me a while to prepare, to put on the happy, social face. But I do. And I'm always happy (when it's over!)
    Oriental Vegetable Pizza's huh?
    What is that exactly?


  11. Saucy Says:

    I like the cooking party idea... I should host one of my own. What was it about pizza and apple crisp that got everyone down? I think that sounds yummy.


  12. Not all those who wander are aimless... Says:

    that's an awesome idea to get to know your neighbors! good job! :-)