I have about a half an hour before the kids and I head out the door for an afternoon of fun. We've been doing that a lot lately ~ spontaneous fun. Our weekly after school schedule is pretty busy but we still manager to get in some unexpected moments.

Last week my kids were entranced with the local high school hockey team. It all started about halfway through my daughter's ice skating lessons. A group of high school boys entered the rink in their matching warm up gear; by all definitions they were a gang. As they began to run up and down the bleachers in rhythmic fashion to warm up my little man blurted out "There's like a hundred of them!" From that moment on I couldn't get the little man to focus on anything; he was entranced with the notion of hockey.

Little man begged to stay for the game so despite not being properly dressed for the rink because we were only supposed to be there for 30 minutes (I know Mom is laughing at my parenting abilities on this one) I said yes. As we watched the hockey players zip around the ice both kids asked their share of questions from padding, numbers, masks and how the game is played it was easy to see we, or rather I, was in trouble.

As each quarter passed the little man watched intently and asked questions as if he was studying for a midterm exam. My daughter began to chant and cheer along with the rest of the young spectators. She thought it was hilarious that grown kids had to endure a 2 minute penalty or time out. But by far her favorite was when another player 'checked' another into the boards, the louder the better, and everyone screamed "Who's the big girl now!"

So just in case you are wondering what we will be doing later this afternoon ~ well yup you guessed it. Mom is taking her kids to the ice rink for open skate. The daughter will be fine skating on her own thanks to lessons but little man will be attempting skating for the second time. Hopefully this time it will be longer than the second he spent on the ice before falling last time. Let's just pray these old bones can stay upright without serious injury to myself or others.

Oh ~ and we will be properly dressed this time Mom!
Labels: edit post
7 Responses
  1. Diane Says:

    That sounds great!! Have fun!!!


  2. What a delightful way to spend an afternoon ~ and in delightful company!


  3. Ann Says:

    I bet you'll do great!
    It's been soo-o-o long since I went ice skating. I was always so pleased with myself when I was able to go backwards without falling down.
    Here's praying for strong ankles and good balance! :->


  4. Something tells me you may have a hockey player in the making. It sounds as if he was bitten by the bug.

    I used to always make my kids beg me to do certain sports so they would be absolutely certain it was what they wanted to do & it worked. Sort of a reverse psychology as it were.
    ;-)


  5. Caroline Says:

    How fun...hope you all had a great time! I need to do more things on a whim...


  6. Lex the mom Says:

    Hockey rules! You are THE mom for sticking around & allowing them to take in the game! I wish we had hockey in our little town, but it's nowhere nearby.


  7. Teri Says:

    I can't ice skate to save my life. I'm afraid I will break something or someone.