Little Man,

I am sorry you've had to deal with so much death recently, especially at the tender age of 5. It breaks my heart to see you so upset about your pet fish dieing day after day. I know it's hard for you to watch your sister happily playing with her pet. She's never known the sadness of loosing a pet.
I heard you've been sharing the death toll with your friends and teacher. I am sure your teacher wonders how I've managed to keep you alive if I can't even take care of goldfish. Truth be told I am amazed children's services hasn't dropped by yet.
Honey, I've tried everything from magic pet store potions to water changes but I fear nothing can stop the tank of death at this point. You know I love you and would never let anything hurt you - right?
Today when you found Goldie Locks floating lifeless at the bottom of the tank I looked into your alligator tears and knew we needed a 'do over.' So despite everything I have taught you about trying to work through problems, fixing them the way they should be fixed and not giving up I have decided to declare a 'do over.'
'Do over' you ask? Do overs are tricky. No, no it's not giving up ... you can deffinately have more fish. The way I look at it a 'do over' it isn't necessarily 'giving up' just trying again with a clean slate. So what do you say we toss everything in the tank, clean it up good with chlorine and take another trip into the pet store tonight for all new everything. You can pick out new fish, new decor and we'll have fun naming you new pets on the way home. What do you think?
Labels: , , edit post
10 Responses
  1. Kat Says:

    Awww...a do-over. I have so many do-over days as a parent...


  2. Man, I LOVED my fish too. but then I had Joe who would bang on the tank and well, mine were all floating before too long. Good luck with the fresh batch.


  3. Karla Says:

    Howdy, I just popped over here from SITS.

    Ooooh...I've had a tank of death before. Its sometimes just a mystery. I had fish for a long time though, if you ever need any tips, let me know. Best thing I ever did though, besides unfortunately trial and error, is make friends with the local fish store owner....they usually have seen it all!

    Good luck and I'm sorry your little guy has to experience the loss.


  4. Insane Mama Says:

    A do over... Thats great! I have a fish that will not die, seriously he has been without water, food, light oxygen, he will not die! We don't do it on purpose, we just kinda forget about him ALL the time
    I could Fed Ex him to you


  5. christie Says:

    What a sweet mom! I want a do-over too...can I pick what ever I want?


  6. Teri Says:

    A few years ago, our fish Eddie died. I didn't know how to tell the kids because I thought they would be devastated. When they finally realized Eddie was no longer with us, it was not 2 seconds before they asked, "Hey, can we get another fish?" I think I was more torn up about Eddie than the kids were. Oh well. And good wishes to your little guy with his new fish.


  7. Heather Says:

    What a sweet mom!! He'll enjoy picking out his new fish.


  8. Tiffany Says:

    I think you are a great mom. Do-overs are needed sometimes. Like that night I can't remember from 1995...


  9. Lex the mom Says:

    Our tank didn't last very long. At the time, my 13yo was only 6 & he couldn't handle all that death. He's always been a serious child.

    Great letter, though - the naming part is fun, along with remodeling the tank!


  10. wolfqueen2 Says:

    Yes, i say a do-over is in order. I have had good tanks and bad tanks. Most of the time "bad" tanks are caused by over feeding the little guys. Or it could have been bad food, it gets old and if it gets damp also it will turn bad. Hope your little guy goes for the idea.